Little's Life

Little's Life

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Story of Andrew




Andrew Thomas Palmer
born January 18, 2010
7lbs, 6oz 21" long

Sam and I went to the hospital at 8:00 a.m. Saturday, Jan 16th so I could be induced. As you can see from above, Andrew wasn't born til Monday, Jan 18th......

Here's the rundown (I"ll keep it brief)

SATURDAY, JANUARY 16

  • Called hospital at 5 a.m. to confirm appt
  • arrived at 8 a.m.
  • examined and found to still be at 1 cm and 70% like I was at my last check up the previous Tuesday
  • 9:30 received my first dose of Cervadil (tablet that softens the cervix over a period of 4 hours and in some cases can kick start labor....guess who was not "some case"?)
  • 9:31 contractions start (not kidding - it took 1 minute)
  • 3:00 still dilated to 1, 75% effaced
  • 7:00 pm - dilated to 2, 80% effaced. Docs discuss what the next step should be and order me to roam the hallways for the next hour.
  • 9:00 pm - met new doc and nurse (they rotate out every 12 hours)
  • 10:00 pm Doc can't believe I'm still at 2 cm so she decides to insert a Foley Balloon to get me to 4 cm but upon exam finds my cervix out of position. Decide to go to Pitocin instead
  • 10:45 start of Pitocin

Sunday, January 17

  • 12:00 a.m. Pitocin has taken my contractions from a 3 pain level to an 8 but is not dilating me
  • 2:00 a.m. finally given something for the pain that I swear hippies used at Woodstock. Slept off and on for the next 4 hours in a drug induced haze.
  • 7:00 a.m. Doc and Nurse wished me well and handed my file off to medical staff #3
  • 9:30 a.m. finally examined by newest Team who were (like everyone before them) shocked that I had been having active contractions for 24 hours but had only dilated 1 extra centimeter. Baffled that I had taken 2 full doses of Pitocin and 2 full doses of Cervawhatever and not progressed. Consider sending me home and trying again in a week
  • 9:35 a.m. sob uncontrollably at the though of having to go through this all over again in a week and having to go home today with Andrew still in my belly
  • 10:30 a.m. Nurse comes in and asks me if I want an epidural or my water broken first. ELATEMENT! Something was finally going to happen besides just pain!!!!
  • 10:40 a.m. epidural (which Sam said I took like a champ)
  • 10:45 a.m. catheter
  • 10:47 a.m. 40 other tubes and monitors placed in various locations, all invasive....
  • 10:50 a.m. Doc breaks my water (and can I just say "ew"?)
  • 12:00 p.m. exam shows I'm at 3 c.m.
  • 2 or 3 hours later, 4cm
  • 7:00 p.m. the final Team trades of and thankfully, is the same doc/nurse combo that I had Saturday night, so they are familiar with the situation
  • 7:30 check shows me at 6
  • 9:00 check 7
  • 9:30 10 and the epidural is upped bc OH. MY. GOD.
  • 10:30 start pushing

MONDAY, JANUARY 18

  • 12:15 a second doctor with a baby vacuum is added to the mix bc Andrew has his head sideways and has his hand near his face.
  • 12:31 a.m. (40 hours to the minute) Andrew Thomas Palmer is born.

LONGEST WEEKEND OF MY LIFE.

We spent the next 60 hours getting to know our son in the Mother/Baby unit of the hospital. Sam and my mom took turns staying with me over the last 2 days. We finally got to come home today at 12:30 - 100 hours after induction started. My hands, feet, and legs are swollen up like balloons due to 40 hours of IV drips. I can't even close my shoes around the tops of my feet. It was the longest, most intense weekend ever. I've joked that since my pregnancy was sooooooo easy compared to most of my friends' and family members' pregnancies that I would "get mine" when it came to labor and delivery but MAN was that ridiculous. 40 hours........FORTY HOURS!!!!

But anyway, now he's here and he's perfect and he's beautiful and he looks just like Sam and I am completely in love.

Will I ever do it again?

......................................

9 comments:

  1. SOOOOO HAPPY!!!! I'm so glad you and Andrew are doing great!!! I can't wait to meet the little guy in person!! Hopefully your swelling will go down in a few days! Keep the pictures coming :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, lady! Glad you're finally home with such a beautiful baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is such a cutie... Glad its over for you LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will so not want to have another baby until Andrew is about 7 months old then the clock start all over again and you will forget all about this intense weekend and the bloating and all the mess that went with it other than the minute they handed baby boy over to you! I am so proud of you and know your going to make one hell of a mama and when I say strong you are one bad ass chick! Congrats! - renee (for some reason it has me signed in as my hubby) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. CONGRATULAIONS!!! YOU DID IT! poor little thing... sounds like you had a pretty rough weekend... but it was all worth it huh!?! Andrew is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! enjoy motherhood lil momma... there is nothing better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So why didn't they break your water sooner? Sorry you had such a long labor, but at least he's here now and health and so cute!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  7. bc they are mean. lol I have no idea.

    ReplyDelete