Little's Life

Little's Life

Saturday, August 1, 2009

The Disgruntled Midwife

Here's the color shot I forgot to upload last time.He looks like he's wearing boxing gloves. Thank goodness his eyeballs are in the sockets now. Last week was kinda creepy with the black holes on his face and the eye pods on the side of his head. Now we just gotta get those ears in the right place!

So I went to Midwife yesterday for my 16 week checkup. I showed her the picture and told her that Ultrasound Lady said I was barely 14 weeks. Midwife huffed and puffed and blew her office down. She sputtered out stuff about Ultrasound Lady not being allowed to diagnose, she's just supposed to take pictures, and this and that. I explained to her why USL told me I was measuring small and Midwife calmed down a bit....for about 10 seconds. Then she jumped up and ran to the phone to call radiology to get me a Dating Ultrasound appointment. She said I need it as soon as possible or the 16-20.5 week window could close before my triple screen/down's syndrome tests can be done. Midwife said if I'm truly only 14 weeks and we did the tests today, the chance for false positive results is alot higher. (Now aren't we glad USL overstepped her bounds and told me I was only 14 weeks? Yes, I thought so too.) So midwife got off the phone with Radiologist and proceeded to RUSH me through the rest of the appt so I could get to radiology to schedule the scan before it closed for the day. She picked me up and hurled me onto the exam table like a sack of potatoes and started pushing on my stomach. She felt right below my belly button with a confused look on her face. She dropped her hand an inch and a half lower and pushed again. "Oh.......she might be right! You really might be only 14 weeks. Your uterus is alot lower than it should be at 16.5 weeks". Oh really, Snootin&Snortin Midwife? Then she listened to Tot's heartbeat for a minute and said he sounded healthy - he's GOT to have a healthy heart bc if I'm only 14 weeks then that means we first heard it at 7.5 weeks, not 10! Then she picked me up by my ankles and boomeranged me out in to the hallway while shouting "2ND FLOOR ON THE LEFT - LOOK FOR THE COLORED TILES!" I ducked as my purse was chucked into the hall after me 2 inches from my head.

I totally understand why she was miffed that an Ultrasound Tech was giving out information she's not technically qualified to give. But in this case, I'm glad USLady guessed what week I was bc it keeps me from having some bloodwork done too soon AND I get another look at Andrew on Tuesday! That's 3 ultrasounds in less than 2 weeks! After my 20 week I may go nuts not getting to see him for 12-16 weeks before his next 4d Peek appointment.

weight: 119.08 (oh yeah! That's only a 5.04 lb gain in 3.5 months of pregnancy! This will probably be the last time I feel relieved at what the scale says.)
bp: 65
Andrew's heartbeat: 154

No comments:

Post a Comment