Little's Life

Little's Life

Monday, June 28, 2010

Not so sweet cheeks

Disclaimer: You are about to read an entire blog post on.................diaper rash! ***dundunduuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun***

So who's heard of the "new and improved" Pampers?



New, meaning your child gets a new doctor's appointment - to have his bright red baboon butt checked out for chemical irritation.

Improved, meaning WAY WORSE THAN BEFORE.

There was nothing wrong with Pampers Sensitive before! They were my go-to diaper until now. Monday I headed to the store to pick up a pack but all I could find were the new sensitive ones, the ones without the wetness indicator but with "baby dry". Now I had heard about the claims that "dry max" was causing major irritations in babies so I was already steering clear of those diapers. I hesitated before pulling the Pampers Sensitive with baby dry into my cart but grabbed them anyway, telling myself that as long as they didn't say dry max, it would be ok. WRONG. My son looked like someone poured boric acid in his diaper the next morning. I tried cream after cream but nothing helped over the next few days.

I let him do "naked tummy time"


to air out his poor swollen buns, I switched to Huggies Pure and Natural diapers, and I ordered an economy size tub of Aquaphor (the only ointment that even slightly appeared to be helping) and a set of Kushies. Poor Tot then developed soup-poop (not at all related to the diapers, but to the lovely little girl from last week's appointment that ran around the waiting roon while her parents watched tv and kept putting her germy little hands all over my 5 month old son's head), so ended up with a combination yeast/chemical irritation diaper rash. The doc gave me 2 different prescription creams to try and clear this up. Hopefully we'll see some progress in the morning. It has gotten so bad that Little's been crying as soon as I set him on the diaper changing table and locking his legs straight to try and keep me from getting anywhere near his boiled bum. :( :( :( On May 6 Pampers released a statement denying claims from other people whose tots have had a similar reaction. It said:
"These rumors are being perpetuated by a small number of parents, some of whom are unhappy that we replaced our older Cruisers and Swaddlers products while others support competitive products and the use of cloth diapers."
Pampers Vice President Jodi Allen then said some of those parents
"specifically sought to promote the myth that our product causes 'chemical burns"

SAY WHAT? MYTH? MYTH, MY SON'S RED BABOON ASS!

So Pampers is completely denying all responsibility and that the rashes even exist. Like I have nothing better to do than make up a medical problem to try and get some diaper company to change it's formula. I don't even want you guys to stop buying Pampers! I just want to make you aware that if your child has sensitive skin - even the slightest bit - that you should think twice before swaddling thier privates in chemical laden Baby Dry/Dry Max. If your child can hang out in whatever type of diaper or with perfumed lotions and soaps on his skin then by all means - go buy the Pampers! They're great for containing leaks. I've always liked them til now. In fact, if I ever spot the old Pampers Sensitive pack on a shelf, I will snatch it right up. I will continue to use Pampers Sensitive Wipes.

Butt for now (see how I did that?) Seventh Generation, Kushies diapers, & Huggies Pure and Natural it has to be.






*steps down from her podium*

2 comments:

  1. Glad you were able to get him in to see a doctor today! I wonder if pampers has heard the saying " if it's not broke , don't fix it"? We use luvs during the day and the pampers that claim to hold pee for 12 hours at night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww poor TOT! Thanks for the info too!

    ReplyDelete