Little's Life

Little's Life

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Just Keep Swimming

I put Little in swimming lessons!  They are held at the Y (of course) and are 4 days/week for 2 weeks.  We are halfway through.  The weather has been less than ideal - on Thursday, it was 67 degrees and raining.  Yet we've both been in the pool, shivering and learning, every time.  And yes, I said "we're both" in the pool.  All of my DMD readers don't need this explained, but some of you might not truly understand why I appear to helicopter over him in certain situations.   Andrew needs a one on one adult or instructor with him at all times in the water in case his legs give out or he gets knocked over.   He does not have the balance, coordination, or strength to get himself back upright in the water.  Everything takes just a bit more effort in the water, especially when it is chest deep!  But I refuse to make him miss out on something like swim class for the selfish reason of not being able to just be a spectator like all the other moms.  So into the water we go.  I did ask the instructor if she minded first, by the way.  I think she's secretly grateful for it since there are 8 little polliwogs and only 1 of her.  I've had to redirect a few of them from wading into water over their heads a couple of times now while Instructor was working with a different child (once the child was sputtering and floundering).  She can't be everywhere at once!  She's great with Little, as you'll see in the video.

He really likes swim class, though it didn't start off that way.  Lots of shrieking the first day.  Lots of clinging to Mommy.  Lots of my forcing his legs straight so that he could see that yes, he really can just touch the bottom and stand up.  Lots of screaming and leg curling when it was time to go down the frog slide.  I just stuck with it and made him do everything, knowing it was for his own good and that he'd be fine once he got comfortable with it.  Now he voluntarily blows bubbles with his mouth and asks to go down the slide!  I really want a picture of him going down the slide, but I have to get him up the steps and into position so that Instructor can take over from the outside and help him down the big frog tongue slide.  So I am behind him when he goes down.  Maybe one of the other parents will have to get in the pool this week and if so, I'll see if they can help out so I can get a picture.

 
 
 
 
Life jacket training.  Andrew was the only one she was able to let go of and the only one who didn't get scared being put in the back floating position.  My little fish.
 

Why does Instructor look like she's freezing to death?  Because it was 67 degrees and raining.  There were only 4 of us who showed up to swim class that day. 



Yesterday was a friend's 5th birthday party at the riding stables on post.  Little had a BLAST.  He was completely worn out and fell asleep on the ride home.  Here he is with his Ayla, waiting on their turn.

 
 

Such a change from the way he usually acts around ponies!



This one was taken in March.

Little has turned not only into a fish, but a songbird:



He has also taken up yoga as of late.



I turned my own arm into Little's logo.




And this is Caleb, our Little's Leaguer of the day!  He has been supporting Andrew internationally (Germany) until recently.  Now he's wishing us well stateside.





No comments:

Post a Comment